dinsdag 8 februari 2011

You can control your mind

Now, my Quest for the Mental Grail had begun. I wanted to know how the mind works and what exactly I had experienced during that lousy miscarriage...I was about to discover a lot of interesting things!

In 2005  I had already come accross a method called Rational Emotive Therapy, used by psychologists to teach people how to regain controll over their own thoughts.
The psychologist who tought me this method explained to me how you could alter your thoughts from distressing ones to more real ones that wouldn't give much stress.
This method works in seven steps, but for me the most important one turned out to be the visualisation step; visualise the stressfull situation you're in while you're feeling completely at ease, calm and content, whatever the situation may be. I could do that very well, I have a lot of imagination so I could imagine myself being calm, even happy, in the most difficult situations.
This visualisation tool helped me get rid of stress before entering a stressfull situation, both small and big, I visualised myself calm and when the situation arrived...I was pretty calm! And content...WOW!
This RET-method had lead me closer to a calmed mind, but it hadn't brought me to the place where I was during that miscarriage...so what was that place then?

I started with Oprah Winfrey, because she had frequently interviewed people like Deepak Chopra, wise people. When I heard them speak I knew it had to make sense but I didn't get it at all! Despite that, I decided to start with Oprah. And because coincidence doesn't exist I stumbled across her webcast project with Eckhart Tolle.
Eckhart Tolle is a german spiritual teacher who lives in the US, and claims to be 'living in the moment' almost 100% of the time...he has written a book called A New Earth and Oprah and he were about to start a webcast project in which Eckhart Tolle would explain what the book was about and what, in his vision, the mind was about. That I wanted to see!